Sunday, June 2, 2013

Catching up on my live music fix

For those of you that are unaware, its quite hot outside. I decided this summer that i wanted to get on a daily running schedule, and i'm quite happy with how well i have stuck to it so far. That being said....I did not run yesterday...But for good reason! Summer rehearsals are beginning and that means i'll find myself teaching front ensemble keyboard and auxiliary percussion at many area high schools in Connecticut. Yesterday was Southington high schools "Mini Band Camp." It was a cool opportunity for the whole band to come out and read through their marching band show music.

But don't you worry, that wasn't the most exciting this i did all day yesterday. I picked up a 5 octave marimba rental from my former teacher Rich Guastamachio at his semi new store Dynamic Percussion. For those of you that don't know, Dynamic Percussion has been THE PLACE FOR DRUMS in CT for quite some time, and about a year ago Gus purchased it from its former owner. They have a great new sales floor, tons of private study areas for local teachers and students to take lessons. I am very fortunate to have a great relationship with Gus as he was a great teacher and mentor of mine (And still is) and he has done so much for me to help me through my undergrad, and now grad degrees.

In addition to that, i saw one of my favorite Jam bands last night, moe.! They were excellent and i recommend anyone to check out one of their shows, especially if you can get tickets as cheap as we did. Tickets were 24 bucks and a really nice stranger who had to leave the show after the opener was nice enough to give us his seat tickets which were about 75 feet away and in the center of the stage. It was such a nice thing for him to do and myself, my friend Tara, and my friend Liz were very thankful.

moe. had a great set. They played a lot of their stuff with Frank Zappa influence and those are some of the songs that feature the most percussion. All in all, the show was great and despite having to drive an hour and twenty minutes to get each way it was great to see them as well as catch up with two close friends from school, as well as many others.

On a side note, i am going to attempt to keep up with this blog as i travel to Minnesota and keep everyone update on the rep that i, the grad percussion group and percussion ensemble are playing. This summer i am trying to slowly (Leisurely if you will) put a couple of things together. Simply because it is beautiful, i will be learning "A cricket sang and set the sun," by Blake Tyson on marimba. I just put the finishing touches on learning the over the bar line rhythms in Joe Tompkins "March," for snare drum and pedal bass drum, and i am keeping up with hand techniques on Congas, Frame drum and Riq, AND i am trying to memorize the "Bols" to John Bergamo's "Piru Bole"

Cheers!

MB

No comments:

Post a Comment