Saturday, June 8, 2013

Insomnia strikes back!

Well hello there 1:36 am, it's been quite some time since we've said hello. It's actually quite interesting that on a day like today I'm finding it hard to get to sleep. I spent a good portion of the day practicing and even went on a short run. I've been attempting to consistently wake up at an hour that isn't too late. Somewhere between 8-9 am. This seems like the best time that shouts "I'm unemployed but productive!" 

I've had a lot on my mind as far as what I think I want to accomplish once I get to Minnesota, as well as what I want to have prepared for when I arrive. I'm currently working on a few things, some recital esque pieces if you will on snare drum. I'm going to push myself to complete a few if not all of these before I get to Duluth. The first two are Joe Tompkins pieces. They are "March" and "Walkin down Coolidge." Both really groovy pieces I'm excited to play. The last is a classic by zivcovic - pezza de concerto. 

As far as marimba rep goes, I am torn! I initially had a goal to complete as many intermediate level marimba solos I could to increase the amount of rep I have to offer. Now I am debating wether I want to start a piece I admire very much entitled Evergreen by Benjamin Finley. I have completed learning the notes and need to chunk together Blake Tyson's "A cricket sang and set the sun." Not the most challenging piece, although I think it's very pretty and learned it in almost it's entirety in three sittings. 

Now comes to my current favorite area of percussion! Hand drumming. I've had a ton of fun Studying hand techniques with Shane Shanahan and really hope that there is as strong of an emphasis on this as I think there is at UMD. It took me some time, but I have finished learning syllables to John Bergamo's "Piru Bole," I'm hoping by the end of the summer to have a diet arrangement of this with my pal Ben Scanlan. If you're not familiar with the piece, Gene Koshinski has a great arrangement on his CD "Klung." 
I've also started learning strokes on doumbek and it's coming along much faster than anticipated. 

So where am I now? It's a hard place to asses. Although I've finished my undergrad, I feel as though I'm just starting. When I came into my first year at wcsu I was immediately humbled and hope to have the same experience at UMD. I am hungry! Hungry to work hard and obtain as many skill sets as I can. Hopefully along the way I will strengthen the ones I already have as well. 

Some other goals I have for myself are in my lifestyle. I've been making a conscious effort to run every day if not six days a week. I hope to keep this up in Minnesota. I currently weigh in around 212 pounds and would love to drop that down to about 185-190. I recently (today actually) discovered that morning workouts were tiring me mentally and draining my focus to practice. Today I simply practiced all morning and afternoon, and worked out before dinner. Problem solved! ....I think. 

Looking forward to all these exciting things, and it's causing my sleep to be deprived. 

Until next time friends, just remember- Hockey pucks make good tam tam beaters! 

Best, 

MB



No comments:

Post a Comment